Đề thi tiếng AnhĐề thi tuyển sinh lớp 10 chuyên Anh TP.HCM năm 2008I. CHOOSE THE WORD WHOSE UNDERLINED PART IS PRONOUNCED DIFFERENTLY FROM THAT OF THE OTHERS:
1. A. eve
2. A. va
3. A. ed
4. A. box
5. A. chur
gentII. CHOOSE THE WORD WHOSE STRESS PATTERN IS DIFFERENT FROM THAT OF THE OTHERS:
1. A. possession
2. A. basically
3. A. shortcoming
4. A. undoubtedly
5. A. enthusiasm
D. socializingIII. CHOOSE THE CORRECT ANSWER TO FILL IN THE BLANK:
1. I don’t see any _______ in arriving early at the theater if the show doesn’t start until 9 o’clock.
2. The new manager’s office has _______ new equipment.
B. a lot of
C. some of
D. a few
3. I don’t _______ to change my job because I like it.
4. You thought I did wrong but the result _______ my action.
5. Thomas has a garden which is _______ mine.
A. double as large
B. semi-larger than
C. twice as large as
D. as two-time as large
6. _ “What do you think of the film we’ve watched?” _ “____________”
A. It’s a breeze!
B. No kidding!
C. I’ve seen better.
D. None of your business!
7. In 1870, _______, John D. Rockefeller and others created the Standard Oil Company.
A. that oil prices fluctuated
B. despite fluctuating oil prices
C. but the oil prices fluctuated
D. oil prices were fluctuating
8. ______ to school by bus.
A. Many a student goes
B. Many the students go
C. Many of students go
D. Much student goes
9. Careless driving also accounts ______ the increasing number of traffic accidents.
10. ______ is not clear to researchers.
A. Why dinosaurs having become extinct
B. Why dinosaurs became extinct
C. Did dinosaurs become extinct
D. Dinosaurs became extinct
11. The new manager is ______ easy-going. He is always very serious about the work.
A. by no means
B. by means of
C. by all means
D. in the mean time
12. We enjoy the hams and coffee at this _______ restaurant.
13. I’d rather ______ to the party with my parents because there was nothing interesting there.
A. haven’t been invited
B. hadn’t been invited
C. not be invited
D. not have been invited
14. When the university suggested _______, the student union protested vigorously.
A. tuition be raised
B. to raise tuition
C. on raising tuition
D. that tuition should raise
15. ______ one after another, parallel computers perform groups of operations at the same time.
A. Conventional computers, by handling tasks
B. Since tasks being handled by conventional computers
C. Whereas conventional computers handle tasks
D. While tasks handled by conventional computers
16. She ______ him of having lied to her.
17. We have bought extra food _______ our friends stay to have dinner.
A. in case
D. as long as
18. Cut this cake into six _______ pieces.
19. If only it _______ differently! I had hoped to be acquitted.
A. had been concluded
B. were concluded
C. had concluded
20. I was ______ in the countryside but went to school in HCMC.
A. brought up
B. taken over
C. made up
D. put off
21. Most of _______ archaeologists know about prehistoric cultures is based on studies of material remains.
22. We couldn’t afford that house because it ________.
A. was over my head
B. paid through the nose
C. cost an arm and a leg
D. blew my own trumpet
23. ______ the Christmas shopping season begins.
A. That is after Thanksgiving
B. After Thanksgiving it is
C. It is after Thanksgiving that
D. It is Thanksgiving that
24. New York City is America’s largest city, ______ it is not the capital of New York State.
25. He promised her an Oxford dictionary, but disappointingly he _______ on his word.
A. turned over
B. stood up
C. went back
D. sat down
26. This young music composer is very famous _______ the most influential composer.
27. She came ______ a lot of problems at work.
A. up with
B. down with
C. in for
D. up against
28. They take ______ each other like two peas.
29. Didn’t it ever ______ to them that they would be severely punished?
30. If you want to ______ weight, cut down on fat.
A. put off
B. come down
C. take over
D. cut off
31. By the time we get out of this traffic jam, all the guests _______ home.
A. have gone
B. had gone
C. will go
D. will have gone
32. ______ members of the class has to be responsible for his own actions.
A. Each of the
C. None of
33. The teacher _______ them the answer to the question.
34. We met each other at the meeting ______ coincidence.
35. As we’ve been discussing for 2 hours without any solution, I’d like to ______ my own solution to this problem.
A. come up
B. bring down
C. put forward
D. take in
36. The accident resulted ______ some minor injuries.
37. Dave, I really appreciate _______ me. But I think I could manage it myself.
A. you to help
B. you helped
C. your helping
D. that you would help
38. One of the robbers was described by the witnesses _______ tall and about 25.
39. I left the purse at home. Can you _______ without breakfast today, dear?
CÁC CHỦ ĐỀ KHÁC: